So my newest hobby, besides knitting, is cake decorating. I took a basic class that taught me some buttercream flowers and stuff. I thought that I don't really need a class to learn this stuff. That's what Youtube is for! So. I thought I would be really bold. I skipped gum paste, modeling chocolate, and royal icing decorating and went straight to fondant.
So I really had NO idea what I was doing. BUT, for my first time, with no lessons, I think I did pretty good. There is clearly room for improvement. But hey, its ALL homemade. well, that's not entirely true. The cake is from a box. But the baking part I already know how to do. Vegan cake is my specialty. But the decorating part was new for me and so all the icing: buttercream, royal, and fondant, is all made from scratch.
So here is my step by step progress. NOTE: Nadia made the teddy bear! Her very first attempt ever and it looks awesome!
BAKING THE CAKES: STRAWBERRY WITH STRAWBERRY PIECES AND CONFETTI
MAKING THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING. CUPCAKE TIER GETS CARAMEL BUTTERCREAM, AND STRAWBERRY TIER GETS VANILLA WITH FRESH CUT STRAWBERRY PIECES.
BOTTOM CUPCAKE TIER: CRUMB COATED!
MY FIRST HOMEMADE FONDANT, KNEADED AND READY TO BE ROLLED OUT.
CUPCAKE TIER COVERED IN FONDANT. IT WAS EASIER THAN I THOUGHT, BUT NEXT TIME, I WILL COLOR THE FONDANT. WHITE IS BORING!
STACKED AND READY TO DECORATE!
STARS ARE READY! i ALSO MADE BEARS, AND RIBBON.
NADIA WORKS ON THE CAKE TOPPER!
MAKING A BOW IS A LOT HARDER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE!
BUT IT TURNED OUT PRETTY, BUT NOT GREAT.
FINISHED BEAR! I CALL HIM LOGAN BEAR. (COS THAT'S WHAT I CALL LOGAN)
FINISHED! ITS FOR THE NEW BABY BOY, CALLUM!
ONE MORE.
THE END.














2 comments:
Wow, that is sooo cool. It looks like a professional cake.
Holy crap, you two are amazing! Great job. Looks like a whole month of WW points :)
Post a Comment