Sunday, March 28, 2010

Casey at the Bat

Today I played as a sub for my friends co-ed Softball team, the Rumrunners. I was a little bit hesitant since 1. I can't throw 2. I never played before...like, ever. 3. I bat left- handed (yeah its weird) and 4. really I had NO idea what I was doing.


They needed an extra sub so I brought Nadia along as well.  So we showed up at Jackson Field and I had borrowed Danny's baseball mitt, so I least I was a little equipped.  We both warmed up and as the afternoon progressed, I could throw, a little.

Well the other team was pretty good. So I was a little bit worried. So to encourage the our players I would shout out things likie, "Make em cry, let them feel the wind off the ball, nice sherbet orange hot pants(to the other team), show em who's got the mojo, etc" you know, baseball stuff.

Total, 3 subs showed up for one player, Nadia, myself, and Sally. Sally has never played either and when she got to bat, she struck out. :(  

At one point, the catcher, Kimberly, asked me to step in for her, so I got to play catcher for two innings which was super fun--minus the whole can't throw thing-- but the pitcher, Miguel was nice about it. One thing is, I can catch.

By the last inning I got SUPER nervous because I was going to be up to bat, the first person to go starting out the last inning. BUT the thing is we were down 3-2 and there were only 3 minutes left in the game. So yeah. great, just great.

So here we go, the pitch is high, but I swing anyway.

STRIKE ONE!

um, ok.....Everyone is cheering me on......"It's ok Catherine, keep your eye on the ball!"  Um, I was, it went really high so I swung at it...der.

and the second pitch, here it comes, kind low, so I figure, ok I'll let this one go....and it bounces on Home Plate.

STRIKE TWO!

shit!

more cheering.....well, I am gonna swing at anything. who cares that I'm gonna strike out and we might lose the first game of the season. At least I tried.

Third pitch, this guy really thinks he knows me now! and SMACK!!!!!! 


I hit it.......I. HIT. IT.  RUUUUUUUNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!  and I did, all the way to first base.  Apparently I hit the ball like five feet. LOL, no-one was expecting that!


So my First Base Coach Susan says, "Ok at second base, only run when Miguel tells you to."


um, ok.

Well, the next person up hit the ball into far right field and so i took off full speed! and then the next batter hit the ball way out in the back field, so Miguel is like "RUN CAT RUN!!!!"  I took off like I was running from the po-lice! I mean I don't think I have ever sprinted that fast. I got to third and Miguel is yelling, "KEEP GOING! RUN RUN!!!!" and so I do. I ran my butt off, I ran my butt to home plate and scored. OH YEAH!!!!!!  Not bad. not bad at all.


One minute left in the game, the pitcher walks the next two batters.....and then Cliff came up to bat and WHACK!  It was ALL over!!!!!!!!!

We won 7-3 . Best. Victory. Ever. Too bad I don't have any pictures. Oh well, maybe next game.

2 comments:

Mama Bree said...

nice! I miss those days - so much fun. :)

Jeffrey Colwell said...

Awesome job Cat! The Padres could use ya :)