I have never been to the Canyon before and we had plans already to drive to San Marcos for a wedding so, heck, we decided to keep on rollin straight through to the rim. Ok well, we did pick up our buddy Shawn in Pasedena, but then we rolled on through.
Everyone and anyone who has ever visited the big ol canyon, will tell you, "oh its sooooo amazing, it takes your breath away." Yeah, yeah, sure. I had seen pictures before. I get it, its really big. Well Holy Crap, it IS really really big and although I did not stop breathing when I got my first glimpse, it was pretty overpowering.
![]() |
| Grand Canyon 2009 |
Shawn, Dan, and I set up our very modest camp supplies (we somehow crammed it into my Scion, with 3 peeps, and wedding gear) and headed out for some grub and to take in a small rim walk. We had been driving for around 9 hours and we needed to eat some damn camp food. Surprisingly, there was a decent cafeteria style restaurant and if you know camping, then you know that the crappiest of food any other time would not be acceptable, but while camping, YUM YUM YUM.
After a night of sleeping on a rock, we headed out to hike the Bright Angel Trial. Shawn was determined to do some crazy ass 10 mile hike or something and if you thing about the hiking........ the farther you go, the more you got to hike UP to get out. SO when Shawn asked if we wanted to hike with him.........
"um,no." Said Catherine.
And so we split up and Dan and I hiked alone. The trail was very dusty, had TONS of peeps, lots of mule crap and the stench that goes with it, multiple mule trains(see video), hot dry weather, and a wonderful view.
I sort of underestimated myself and my awesome hiking abilities because I only hiked down into the Canyon about 3/4 of a mile before I thought it would get too hard for me to hike out. I was seriously wrong. At the rim, after the hike was over I wasn't even winded. I guess it must be due to all the working out I had been doing prior to the trip!!! oh yeah.
So Dan and I spent the rest of the day exploring and taking pics and eating and building campfires and wondering when we would have to report Shawn missing to the Rangers, when he painfully strolled into camp.
We chilled around the fire, drinking King Cobra, and staring into the flames thinking we might see into the future.
The next day, and very sleepless rock hard night for me, we decided (after MUCH debate from Dan) to hike South Kaibab Trail. Danny was seriously concerned about the sun exposure, so Shawn headed out early in the day to hike another, oh, 100 miles, and we opted to go out around 4 pm. Since the almighty SUN wouldn't kill Dan around then, hopefully. Dan and I relaxed the first part of the day walking along the Rim Trail. As we looked out into the G.C. we noticed a BIG ASS bird flying around. See now that I am a Golden Gate Raptor Observatory bander I am an expert at raptor ID. (ok not an expert but better than most.) I yelled out, "HOLY CRAP!!! Its a Condor!!! Dan get the f*cking camera!!!!"
I can easily say that it was one of the best experiences I have had in my life. (being that there are only around 300 left, up from 22, with around 60 living in the G.C.)
So after spending around an hour staring at this bird (#52) on a freakin rock ledge in hopes that it will take flight again, we left. (Dan made me.)
Off to South Kaibab for another hike. I was VERY excited to hike this trail. I am glad we were able to convince Dan to do it. It was BEAUTIFUL! There were hardly any people, no poop, no mules, lots of shade, and an incredible view. It was my favorite hike. We hiked down about a mile and the canyon opened up before us. I was completely mesmerized by it. It convinced me, this is truly a wonder of the world.
All in all, it was a wonderful camping trip. I had such a great time. Having Shawn there, Dan, and I just relaxing and enjoying nature and each other. If you get the chance to go, I recommend staying at a campground, not in a lodge.

No comments:
Post a Comment