Wednesday, September 10, 2008

GGRO

OK So a week ago or so I had my first real hands on day at the GGRO. For those of you who do not know what that is...Golden Gate Raptor Observatory. It was the most amazing day ever! I was super nervous and excited. In the morning I woke at 6am and carpooled to Fort Cronkite in the Marin Headlands. I was soo tired. We had a meeting with all the other volunteers and then headed to a place called Townesly where all the Lure Birds are kept. We spent around an hour taking care of them, washing out the cages, feeding them. The best possible conditions for these birds. Then we gather up the birds to use for the day and we all separate and go on a merry way. So I am going to be a bit vague here because it is a bit of a controversy, but we set up our area and wait in a blind for some raptors. Using an effective method we can lure a bird in and safely trap it in a net. I caught my first bird and my heart was racing. A juvenile Red tail hawk. It was soo beautiful. I fell in love. No Joke. I have a pic on cell phone of me holding the bird and when I can I will post it.

Needless to say, It was very fulfilling and it helped to solidify what I want to do with my life. Work with animals. SO Friday is my second day, hopefully this time I can take the bird out of the net by myself.

No comments: